Solaris Internals and Performance FAQ
Updates to this wiki are available via an RSS Feed.
More information about solarisinternals.com's architecture is [here].
- Need an account? Email siaccount at solarisinternals.com
- A note from Richard: Follow my Twitter and my new blog is here...
- NEOSUG! Slides from the Sep 10, 2008 talk can be found here!
- LISA '09! Solaris Performance Tutorial Slides
- LISA '09! DTrace Tutorial Slides
- CPU Utilization, Run Queues and Load Average - a technical brief
Solaris Performance Wiki
About the Wiki
The Solaris Performance Wiki is a community to provide a go-to reference for the key information related to Solaris Performance. Here we aim to provide a top level index to the essential performance information, by either linking to existing references (blogs etc...) and providing original documentation where necessary. Please update the WishList with items you want to see on the Wiki.
- (Mon December 15 2014) The registration for the "Oracle Solaris TechDay: Sharing Experiences, Engineering Insights and Outlook"-Event is now online. So you can now register for the event. I think it's really interesting in ...
- (Fri December 12 2014) Solaris 11.2 introduced a new ZFS pool version: 35 Sequential resilver.The new feature is supposed to make disk resilvering (disk replacement, hot-spare synchronization, etc.) much faster. It achieves...
- (Fri December 12 2014) I still don't have the registration page for the Solaris Tech Day in Cologne, but my colleague Franz Haberhauer already put the agenda online for the event in the "Solarium Blog", that takes place in ...
- (Fri December 5 2014) One of the blogs I value is Roch Bourbonnais's. He hasn't blogged much in some time but he is back to blogging! He listed the main ZFS performance improvements since Oracle took over, and then also pr...
- (Wed December 3 2014) On January 13th, 2015 (yeah, it's really that late in this year that we are talking about schedules in the next year ... time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana) there will be an Solaris T...
- (Wed December 3 2014) Roch Bourbonnais started a series of blog articles about changes to ZFS in oder to improve performance with his article "ZFS Performance boosts since 2010". He published a first article out of this se...
- (Mon December 1 2014) A few days ago, Darren Moffat wrote an interesting article about the inclusion of CVE numbers in the IPS packages. You can read the article here. I just want to give a short example by citing Darren....
- (Fri November 28 2014) CVE metadata is now provided in IPS packages....
- (Fri November 14 2014) There is a very good presentation describing how Kernel Zones are implemented from an architecture point of view....
- (Fri November 14 2014) I've been playing with Solaris Kernel Zones recently. I installed a zone named kz1 on an iscsi device so I could test Live Migration as well. At some point I wanted to modify contents of the kz1 root ...
- (Thu November 13 2014) If you follow illumos very closely, you may already know some of this.A New ForkSeveral months ago, I forked illumos-gate (the primary source code repository for the kernel and system components of il...
- (Mon November 3 2014) Today we are announcing that we are open sourcing the two systems at the heart of our business: SmartDataCenter and the Manta object storage platform. SmartDataCenter is the container-based orchestra...
Discussions about these Solaris Performance topics are held via the OpenSolaris Web Site.
- OpenSolaris Performance Community
- OpenSolaris Observability Community
- OpenSolaris DTrace Community
- OpenSolaris ZFS Community
The Solaris Performance Wiki is organized into the following categories:
- Key Solaris Performance Communities
- Systems Performance Tools and Tuneables
- DTrace Topics
- Chip Level Multiprocessing
- Application Code Optimization
- Solaris Performance Features by Release/Version
- Virtualization Performance
- Application Specific Tuning
- Hardware/Platform Specific Tuning
- Benchmarking, Tools and Workloads
- Assignments and Mini-projects