Solaris Internals and Performance FAQ
Updates to this wiki are available via an RSS Feed.
More information about solarisinternals.com's architecture is [here].
- Need an account? Email siaccount at solarisinternals.com
- A note from Richard: Follow my Twitter and my new blog is here...
- NEOSUG! Slides from the Sep 10, 2008 talk can be found here!
- LISA '09! Solaris Performance Tutorial Slides
- LISA '09! DTrace Tutorial Slides
- CPU Utilization, Run Queues and Load Average - a technical brief
Solaris Performance Wiki
About the Wiki
The Solaris Performance Wiki is a community to provide a go-to reference for the key information related to Solaris Performance. Here we aim to provide a top level index to the essential performance information, by either linking to existing references (blogs etc...) and providing original documentation where necessary. Please update the WishList with items you want to see on the Wiki.
- (Fri February 27 2015) One of the very useful features in Solaris is the ability to identify physical disk location on supported hardware (mainly Oracle x86 and SPARC servers). This not only makes it easier to identify a fa...
- (Sun February 22 2015) As part of a work-related project, I'm writing code that needs to resolve DNS names using Go, on illumos.While doing this work, I noticed a very surprising thing. When a host has both IPv6 and I...
- (Fri February 20 2015) ZFS ZIL performance improvements in Solaris 11...
- (Wed February 11 2015) What is mangos?Those of you who follow me may have heard about this project I've created called mangos.Mangos is a lightweight messaging system designed to be wire compatible with nanomsg, but is impl...
- (Wed February 11 2015) (also on the Joyent blog) Background Node.js provides the richest postmortem debugging facilities of just about any dynamic language. Postmortem debugging refers to debugging programs from a core fil...
- (Thu February 5 2015) Recently, Randy Bias of EMC (formerly of CloudScaling) wrote an excellent piece on Why “Vanilla OpenStack” doesn’t exist and never will. If you haven’t read it and you are anyw...
- (Wed February 4 2015) We used to use pkgbuild tool to generate IPS packages. However recently I started working on internal Solaris SPARC build and we decided to use IPS fat packages for x86 and SPARC platforms, similarly ...
- (Tue February 3 2015) (The event is in german language, so i will continue in german) Mein Kollege Detlef Drewanz wird am 20. Februar in Berlin im Rahmen der Oracle Breakfasts einen Vortrag zum Thema "Oracle Solaris 11.2...
- (Mon February 2 2015) Interesting blog entry on Multi-CPU Bindings introduced in Solaris 11.2....
- (Fri January 30 2015) Bryan Cantrill on SmartOS + Docker. Docker and the Future of Containers in Production from bcantrill ...
- (Tue January 6 2015) Fifteen years ago, I initiated a time-honored tradition among my colleagues in kernel development at Sun: shortly after the first of every year, we would get together at our favorite local restaurant ...
- (Fri January 2 2015) When looking back on 2014 from an infrastructure perspective, it’s hard not to have one word on the lips: Docker. (Or, as we are wont to do in Silicon Valley when a technology is particularly ...
Discussions about these Solaris Performance topics are held via the OpenSolaris Web Site.
- OpenSolaris Performance Community
- OpenSolaris Observability Community
- OpenSolaris DTrace Community
- OpenSolaris ZFS Community
The Solaris Performance Wiki is organized into the following categories:
- Key Solaris Performance Communities
- Systems Performance Tools and Tuneables
- DTrace Topics
- Chip Level Multiprocessing
- Application Code Optimization
- Solaris Performance Features by Release/Version
- Virtualization Performance
- Application Specific Tuning
- Hardware/Platform Specific Tuning
- Benchmarking, Tools and Workloads
- Assignments and Mini-projects